Wednesday, July 29, 2020

My ribs are not a cage
Where my heart is trapped.
It soars to heights and lights
On branches to sing.
It breathes the air 
Of transcendent things
And brings them here to me,
While I sit so silently and listen.

I hear the whir of the washing machine, 
The tick of the clock,
The purr of the sleeping cat beside me.
All just a backdrop of rhythm 
That binds me
To the melody of love
That the birds in my head
Sing inside me.

My heart is not a cage
To trap you.
Come and tap your feet.
Snap your fingers and dance with me.
Let’s make music together, tonight,
And tomorrow, in the morning,
When light brings the burlesque colors
To life, and we remember how to fly,
Let’s fly together out of our ego cages,
Off into the starlit skies of wonder and love,
Forever....
Or at least until the washer gets done with the clothes,
And I have to put them into the dryer.

-jenn

No comments: