Friday, July 17, 2020

Two separate shipwrecks in the sea,
One is you, and one is me.
We both wind up drifting 
To the same desert isle,
And it takes a while
But we finally discover one another.

And after the initial pleasantries,
We begin discussion on how we came to be here,
The various and sundries
Of the maladies therein,
And it takes awhile,
But we come to see
How truly similar we may be.

I was abandoned as a child.
You were neglected,
Left in a file labeled no good.
We both had to learn 
From an early age to survive,
And our skills in that vein
Were disappearance, dissociation,
Seeking approval, amalgamation
With our enemies
To the extreme point that we
Abandoned our true selves,
And it took awhile,
But that came to be
The only home we knew.

And now we sit,
Right here together,
So far apart from everything, 
And yet more far apart than ever
From one another,
And don’t know what to do.

Maybe it will take awhile,
But I have hope
That the scope of our disfunction 
Narrows every day,
As you love you,
And I love me,
And ‘neath these swaying palms,
Sharing these clams and coconut milk
Together,
Maybe we can find a way
To love one another, too.

And yes I know,
It may take a while.
I’m willing.
How bout you?

-jenn

No comments: