Tuesday, July 14, 2020

The ghosts at the garage sale looked so real.
They made me feel so uncomfortable.
I couldn’t tell if the table was a deal.
One ghost was seated in a chair at it,
Reading an old newspaper she had found.
A male ghost moped around a shelf of books,
And gave the other patrons dirty looks
If they approached.
Another ghost filed through various items on a tray,
Tiny nails and screws and twistie ties
Off used bread wrappers.
I think he finally bought a few of them,
And I wondered what they were for.
I got the nerve to ask him,
And he said he took them and put them
Under floorboards at a house he haunted
To make them squeak better.
One of the ghosts bought a sweater 
To wear under her chains, so they wouldn’t “chaff as bad,” she said.
Then they all started to explain their purchases,
And I ran away,
Trying to escape the voices of ghost reason.
But this experience has freed me from
The urge to justify myself 
To anyone, ever, again.

-jenn

No comments: