Friday, July 17, 2020

There was a lot to eat at the banquet,
And I didn’t know where to start.
Everyone else seemed to be enjoying it,
But I didn’t have the heart to eat,
And I didn’t have the heart
To tell the master of the banquet 
That the food looked plastic to me,
And that all the conversation 
Seemed unworthy of skating rink teens,
Much less adults.
But who am i to ruin fun?
If so many others feel complete 
Here in this environment,
I let them be without a word,
And leave them to find their own peace.

For the shallow splashes have a beauty,
They have a certain attractiveness,
But the mysterious deep calls me,
And I must go and overwhelm myself 
With things the deep dark ocean knows
And holds for those who are brave enough 
To be alone sometimes, and torn off the tv.

-jenn

No comments: