Tuesday, March 2, 2021

 I’m soaking up all the blue I can from the sky,

All the light that’s left from the winter clouds.

A dry snow falls like talc.

I’m right back at the chalkboard,

Taking it all back to formula,

My pablum, just this dusty snow that falls.


Why do I think dreams might come true

If I can just soak up enough blue?


When you drink from the Midnight Sun,

A heart of darkness sets in on you.

The message intended for your toenails

Goes to your head,

And those intended for you mind

Go to bed with your feet.

No answers this time for the chalkboard. 


I’m standing where the teacher told me,

My problem written in white

On a green chalkboard.

The class is giggling at my ass

And my incognition.


Damn that teacher anyway! 

Damn this school! these kids!

And all these diagrams I’m sposed to know!


I want to go outside, 

Ride my horse,

Grasp my fingers in his coarse mane

And hang on tight

Until the ride is over,

And I’m carried off to where I want to go,

Because I’ve been to that place where problems disappear,

Where grammar fails and algebra 

And social schemata of who is right and wrong,

Who is popular, who is strong,

Who is weak,

But that’s not here

Where problems reign

And bullies have their way

And the mind slips from an ultra conscious state

Into a self-conscious one.


I’m done.

I’m going outside 

To ride my horse.


-jenn 



No comments: