Saturday, October 7, 2017

Two little kittens,
One's a male,
He comes up and kinks his tail
And stares directly into my face
And wills me to pet him.
He settles in as I rub his back
And scratch his chin,
And he purrs without remorse,
Loud as a galloping horse
That wins by a mile.

The little girl slinks quietly in
And rubs her body on my shin
And furtively looks around.
She rolls like a ninja on the ground
And up into a ball.
I stroke her soft fur tenderly,
But still, her myow, so plaintive to me,
Seems to be a cry out over second place.

What is it about our estrogen
That makes us less confident
And feel we don't deserve?
That good things are only reserved
For the men?
Maybe because that's how it's been
Since the earth took a swerve
And began revolving around the sun.

-jenn

No comments: