Monday, October 15, 2018

I wanted to name my little horse "Bareback,"
Because it was a name I'd heard 
Associated with horses handed down
Through several generations.
"I'll ride Bareback," Gramp would say,
And often after that, he'd talk about 
How his mother rode "Bareback" all the time,
And what a rider she had been.

But he didn't tell this memory
Because he'd seen her,
For she died when he was only four,
But those, and other few sparse stories
Were handed down to him.

My dad insists I ride with a saddle,
And when he has time,
He saddles her for me.
I am only seven now and cannot hoist it by myself.
He chuckles at the irony 
Of calling out to Bareback
To come be saddled.

But Dad doesn't know how much I ride her
During the day while he is gone.
I jump on her without a saddle,
Without a bit or bridle or reins,
And many times I think about my great great grandmother,
And her horse, of the same name,
Bareback.

-jenn 




No comments: