Saturday, December 8, 2018

Oh yes, I do.
I plan on going all Emily Dickinson 
On your ass,
And I know how to do it, too.
But my particular brand of Emily 
Has no name.
It's a generic brand
That you might secretly find at Costco,
And fall in love with,
And never tell a soul
Because you don't want everyone else
Knowing about the treasure
That you've stumbled accidentally upon.

But you will hoard me.
You will buy cases and cases of this stuff
Because you worry that I could be
Discontinued,
And the fatal shock of running out of me
Would be too much to bare.

This morning you took a brand new jar
Down from the shelf,
And barely opened it,
Just to take a whiff and listen
As I stated rather flatly,
"I'm nobody, are you?
Are you nobody, too?"
Then twisted the lid back quickly
And snug, to be fresh again
For next time.


-jenn

No comments: