Sunday, December 16, 2018

The brooding cuckoo clock 
Can't stop.
He ticks off worries
With every tock,
But always another has come around
To keep his chin down
Beneath his frown.
His eyes never stray from the cluttered ground
And all the man made trouble he's found.

But man made him too, afterall,
So why would he look to the open sky
Where birds fly so trouble free?
And why is he looking now at me
With that look in his eye?
The gods made me afterall!
And I've never eaten an apple
From the tree they told me
Not to eat apples from.

So cast your eye some other way, Cuckoo,
And chirp your solemn bell
For some other lily
That's dressed so well,
Or some other sparrow that's fallen,
And tick me off some other day,
When I know what sin it is I've committed.
Maybe tomorrow,
Or the the next day following?

-jenn


No comments: