Saturday, December 22, 2018

My son and I walk
As we always do,
Talking all through our neighborhood.

We get to a house where we see a guy we don't know
Has been hired to fix something.
It's a black guy, and he looks at us
Like we're already judging him.
We say hello, and ask him how he's doing.
He cocks his head, as if
We're deigning to talk to him
Just because he's black,
And says with a chip, "I'm BLESSED!"

But what he doesn't know is,
My son and I say hello to everyone,
And we ask everyone we see
How he or she is doing.

So I fight the urge to chip back,
"Oh, yeah? Well, we're BLESSED, tooooooo,
Mutha Fuckah!"

I wonder if he would've laughed,
Or been offended,
Or if he'd've wondered if I could read his mind?

Gut instincts are usually right, they say,
So, it's too bad we can't say the first thing that we think of,
Except in a poem every once in a while.


-jenn

No comments: