Wednesday, December 26, 2018

That one bird that's stuck in the rafters of Walmart,
I know just how it feels.
It's the very day after Christmas,
And already at 7 o'clock am,
The store is beginning to bustle.

But right now, the dull roar is still dull enough 
That you can hear the piped in music.
The Guess Who is wailing that there's no time left for me,
And even above that,
That one bird chirps.

It's a cheerful chirp,
With just a touch of forlorn in the refrain.
It says, "Here I am singing my song again, today,
And there's a whole blue world
Just somewhere there outside.
But here I am, stuck in Walmart."

I know just how it feels.
I sing my forlorn refrain,
Pushing my cart along housewares
On the way to the chip aisle.
I wail a concurring wail
With The Guess Who!
"No time for a sunny day! No time left for meeeeeheeeeee!
No time left for meeeeheeeee!"

And while I sing,
And wonder if, when it's loud in here,
And no one can hear it,
If that one bird stuck in the rafters of Walmart 
Bothers to sing its song anyway?

-jenn


No comments: