Thursday, January 3, 2019

He congratulates me
And I don't know what for,
But then again, English is
His second language.
But it makes me stop and think.
It makes me smile.
Yes, I am to be congratulated 
And all the spectrum of beautiful meanings
The word can offer me,
And even more because of
The kind and loving soul
With shining eyes and gracious ways
Who has offered them to me.

Then I remember I've just married a handsome doctor 
Who cannot move from the waist down,
But we make beautiful music together
On our strange foreign ukuleles.
That was how we first met,
At a quiet party for massage therapists,
And I played melody notes to his chords in effects
That weren't generally then 
To be known.

It was something magical 
And we played until the song waned.
His eyes told me he wanted to kiss me.
I bent to kiss him on the mouth
And he turned his head away.
"No no," he said in shame.
And so I kissed his cheeks, his eyes.,
Until he opened his mouth,
And I kissed him passionately.
He said,"It's times like this, I wish I could lay down."

And so I helped him to his bed.
"I want to give you something," he said,
And worked up some saliva,
And I bent down again and sucked it into my mouth.

And that is how we met.

And I know that every love is terminal,
And yet every Love considers the DNA 
Of everloving, everliving Life and Love,
And the gracious ones who know to stay 
And to congratulate us
When that word seems so out of place on the surface,
And yet so perfectly at home
In the reality of every single occurring situation.

So I say to you,
"Congratulations."

-jenn


No comments: