Monday, January 7, 2019

One day hiking in the forest,
I went a little snowblind.
I lumbered with my eyes closed in pain
And with my hands out in front of me
To keep from banging into trees 
And their branches hanging low.

And just as I stumbled down into the snow,
I felt a hand on my shoulder.
A person, I could not tell who,
Helped me stand, and offered me some porridge.

Holding my hand, the person led me
To a cottage, where I felt warm,
And strangely right at home.
My eyes began to open,
And bleary visions started to appear.

Something was set before me
And I ate. The taste was wholesome,
Yet with delight, I thought it tasted more like apple pie
With caramel sauce and vanilla ice cream
Than any porridge I had ever seen.

But as my eyes came back to me
I looked, to see a plain wooden bowl
And a few globs of lumpy oats, uneaten.
And so I offered my heartfelt thanks
And hurried away, before I could see too well,
Or know the name of the person
Who had saved me.


-jenn

No comments: