Tuesday, January 22, 2019

I'm freshly faced 
And smell like oranges.
I've eaten the honey 
From Puerta Pollensa,
Where bees stay drunk
On nectar of orange blossoms there.
I sat beneath a tree in Majorca 
All day and laughed as the ripe ones fell.
I didn't do anything else.
I didn't count them,
Pick them, or even bother 
To shoo the gnats away.

I did take one orange that fell too close to me
And I gazed upon it,
Slowly peeled it's fragrant rind away
And ate it, slurping every last drip 
And rubbed my sticky palms
Along my naked thighs and face.

Then I laughed some more
And rolled in the dirt and bits of leaves and stems
Until I was covered by the expensive frills of leaf litter
The orchard affords,
And wandered back into the town
Like a wild unkempt beast,

Singing, "It is gooooood! It is goood! It is verrrry goood!"


-jenn

No comments: