Sunday, May 27, 2012

No Wonder


The three fates sat so quietly!
An occasional mutter
In a language unknown.
Basic and guttural triplet tongue,
Unintelligible except amongst themselves was heard,
With an occasional sigh, or a bored sounding groan.

Hear the clacking of the pieces!
Like random dominoes plunked flat out!
A whisper here,
A twisted cackle,
They turn the puzzled chards about.

Two of the sisters get up distracted
By something more interesting than my mere life:
A novel challenge
With some pieces missing,
But they’re gonna try
To find him a wife.

Watching the one still dealing my fortune,
My eyes cut occasionally at the other two,
Wickedly obsessed
At yoking the poor fellow
To a witch of a nag,
A whining shrew.

They’re making up their own rules now,
Mixing the pieces from various boxes,
Cutting little “unimportant” nibbets
To force them to a semi-fit.
I hope they don’t try to pull that trick
Back at my life’s table.
The one fate’s moving very slowly,
But I don’t mind a bit.

She seems saner than the others
And has a scruple left in her—
Faithfully piecing, righting my design.
Lucky me! My destiny is coming together!

I can’t believe the gods sometimes!
No wonder we suffer hemorrhoids,
Tumors, and blisters!
No wonder our lives are so mismatched
And gruesome!
They hang in the balance of these immature sisters.

No comments: