Monday, November 26, 2018

I heard a knocking at my window
And sought to open the door.
I wanted to see a raven there,
But there was only a crow.
I shooed the bird away from me.
I heard the tapping again.
The crow had brought me a breadcrumb,
And wanted me to let him in.

But I didn't want the breadcrumb,
So again I shooed him away,
And he came again with a worm in his beak,
And begged me to let him stay.

So I opened the window and took the worm and threw it
Into the flower bed below.
I told the bird that he could come in if he didn't want to go.

I told him I didn't want his crumbs, his worms, or anything,
And it was at that moment he transformed 
Before my eyes into a king,
And he said,
"That is what makes you the most dangerous woman in the world."
-------

2


I beheld the great king
Clothed in a deep
Purple cape,
A regal crown upon his head,
And jewels draped his neck.
A staff and scepter in his right hand,
He held his left to me.
I didn't bow to him
Because he was standing in my bedroom.

But I took his hand, and he smiled
And said, "Come away with me,"
And when I closed my eyes,
I felt the whisk of strange air
Passing by me.

And when I
Opened my eyes, I stood in a great hall
With ceilings that I couldn't see,
And rows and rows of bookshelves 
Going up, 
And books, big ancient, fantastic books
Lining every shelf.

I had joined a perfect party in this library.
Perfect music filled my head at large.
It moved my mind to dance.
My thoughts leapt and twirled
As I viewed the miracle books.

I took one off the highest shelf that I could reach,
While I listened to other seekers discuss what they had found.
I could listen while I read, myself,
And danced inside my head
At the moving sounds of the traversing music.

The book fell open to a certain page,
And I saw it's page was full of hieroglyphs.
I looked to see the books the others had,
And they were written in this selfsame tongue.
But when I looked back at the book I held,
I saw that I could not only understand
Every word symbolized therein,
But I was captivated by the brilliant art
That had been created in forming each sign.

Every "letter" if you could call it that,
Was in itself a word, a symbolic meaning,
And contained within itself a historic tale and a prophecy of things to come,
Like a seed identified, and with that knowledge,
Knowledge of the plant that made the seed,
And a knowing of what the seed would make.

And then a young shepherd approached me
With certain books upon his arm.
He bowed, and I curtsied to him,
And he said, "No, my queen,
But please, these are for you."

And I took the books and wondered at his words,
Walked toward a table there
To set them down,
And looked then to see the dress that I was wearing 
Was a noble dress, and felt my head,

And knew, I wore a crown.

......to be continued

-jenn


No comments: