Friday, November 30, 2018

I panned for gold near Turquoise Lake
On a lonely stretch of the river
West of Leadville, on a sunny day,
Wearing only my dungarees, rolled up,
Over my knees, and no shirt, 
Just a wide brimmed straw hat,
That kept the sun out of my face.

I found a few tiny pieces
Of gold as I stood stooped 
In that cold clear water
That rushed all day around me
And brisked away down the mountainside.

I wanted to save the two pieces
Of gold, but found I'd lost my pouch
Out of my backpack.
I did find a baggie within a baggie
With a cupcake paper inside.
I'd eaten the sweet treat earlier
That my mother had made for me
For my birthday,
So I dropped the gold flakes in there.

When you stand and sluice 
And sieve for gold in a cold clear creek 
On a sunny day, with no shirt on,
And eat your cupcake out there,
That your mother has made for your birthday,
The day is its own great reward,
And you've been paid
In full by the Day, and thoughts of gold
Fade away into the crumbs
And the sand that flows by
From your sieve down the mountainside 
By way of the great and rushing waters.


-jenn

No comments: