Friday, November 2, 2018

When I was 13,
I had some fancy thing I was supposed to go to,
And I didn't have that type of clothes.

My mama put me in some silky pajama pants she had 
That she had never worn,
And a very strange knit shirt with a very strange pattern on it,
The only one we had between us 
That matched the silk pajama pants.
And I went to the event feeling like a fool.

I wouldn't have gone but I was receiving an award for finishing the year with the highest grade average in the class,
And people thought I ought to go.
They took a picture of me with my head looking down and a little to the left,
My lips were in a slight pout,
But they depicted a mere temporary defeat,
For I planned on going straight home 
And taking that get up straight off.
Well, I might leave the pajama pants on 
And go straight to bed.
They were pretty damn comfortable.

I ran across the picture 40 years later and cried.
I saw truly how beautiful I looked that night,
How elegant I looked in that thrown together pant suit.
I see that I still wear that pout,
For I still face thousands of temporary defeats every day of my life, 
And that's just from trying to be a good mom myself.

My mama did good with my makeshift pant suit that night.
She did the best she could,
And I'm starting to think she did a pretty good job with me,
The best anybody could've.

And so from now on, if I have anything fancy 
That I might need to go to,
I'm going to check my pajama drawer first,
And see if I can throw a pant suit together out of there,
Because then, at least when I pout,
I'll be comfy.


-jenn

No comments: