Sunday, November 4, 2018

I took a walk just after sunset
Like a skunk,
Through the stark stillness 
And breathed the musty leaves.
Their musk smells different after dark,
Like a man who's gone home from work
And put on better cologne to go out to the bar.

But the shadowy figures here are just trees,
Whose forbidden whispers are innocent,
Only the sound the breeze makes blowing through them.

And the only leering done
Is by the harmless rabbit,
Who leaps back into the thicket just beyond
Where the whirring purring hum of the crickets
Will lull him off to the safety of his sleep.

And I will walk as far as the willow,
Where no one laughs at me at night.
I'll hold its leafless, slender branches
Together like the fingers of your hand,
And think about the band of gold
You slipped around my heart before you had to go.

And then I'll turn and follow the smell of wood smoke
Back to the fire I left burning in my hearth at home,
And live to walk another day,
Another way, in the other world 
Of morning.

-jenn 





No comments: