Wednesday, October 23, 2019

Chevron, chevron,
One too many chevrons
Dot the map
Showing the cartographer 
Where the mountains are,
And if I followed up them north
All the way from Waterford 
The good folks at Kilkenny
Would never let me pass.
"You can't go walking on the grass!"
They'd shout to me from their castle.
"You'll wake the dead asleep here
In the crypts!"
And if I could but go around
Callan, Kells, or Thomastown,
I could meet you in Ballyfolyle by noon
And gladly spend the afternoon with you.
We could lie in Dunmore cave
And pretend our graves were royal, too,
Just as those buried in Kilkenny Castle do.
But alas, the folks at Kilkenny Castle,
Those alive, and those buried there,
Will never let me marry you,
You whose tartan plaids are blue and green,
And so I'll stay at Waterford
And milk the goats and tend the orchard
While the wind blows my scarf and unties my apron
And scatters my capons willynilly,
And I'll dream silly dreams, Silly,
Dream silly dreams of you.


-jenn

No comments: