Monday, October 28, 2019

I try to nap within the nap.
I dream I put a mattress on top of a mat
And the cushion from off the chaise lounge 
On top of some pillows on top of the couch.
I try to dream the dream within a dream.
I try to discern the focus inside my head.
Sleepily, I close my eyes,
I hear Howard Cosell's voice, ESPN music,
And then, I remember where I put the seeds
For the Geranium bed.

The ground is ready.
The rains have come.
The soft brown mud is calling
For me to come and scatter 
Zinnia and Marygold seed into the loam, 
To augment the Geraniums' bed.

The Geraniums want a softer bed this year,
More peat mixed in,
And fertilizer,
More perlite for soil perosity,
And they want to listen to the radio, too,
Like I do,
While they sleep,
And hear the voice of Howard Cosell 
And the ESPN theme songs.

The geraniums want to dream 
The dream within the dream
While they spin their lives into webs
Of recreating their DNA,
And I want to go to bed
And sleep and dream of the seed I came from,
And remember myself
Along the way,
And distract myself with Howard Cosell
And ESPN music,
And forget about all the seeds I've spilled,
And not worry with care
If they may or may not 
Dare to make flowers.


-jenn

No comments: