Friday, December 20, 2019

I can prepare myself for boredom.
I've faced countless hours
In a boardroom listening to people pretend
That all of us are in on deciding
What will be done,
Just to have the one in charge do what they planned to all along.
There's no hope or love or charity there,
No imagination, no collaboration.

But I'm confronted with crazy
At the gas station.
My heart breaks,
And my soul aches
For the woman by the door
Talking to herself
About nothing more and nothing less
Than what she'll have for breakfast
Tomorrow morning.

She has great faith that she'll make it through the night.
She is imagining it.
She's collaborating with everyone in sight
To aim for something
And not err.
Would I miss the mark and sin
If I gave the woman a dollar,
Or if I didn't?
Either way, I have no power to save her body
Or her soul, or that of the control freak CEO
I've been cursing about all day.
But I guess,at least, I won't have to wonder 
If I should have given him my spare change.

-jenn



No comments: