Monday, December 23, 2019

I find myself on a dead end street,
A fancy one, but dead end nonetheless.
I soothe myself by looking at the picturesque ways
The rich folks have chosen to decorate 
Their private landscapes.

I've come to the end at a circle drive.
A big wooden snowman says hi to me
With one hand raised.
He's painted white with a painted carrot nose.
I make the circle and continue around.
It seems in most of my dreams,
That at the end of a road like this,
Suddenly the scene unfolds and allows me
To go into some surreal change of scenery.
This painted snowman has me stumped today.
He has a creepy smile upon his face.

Maybe I'm not dreaming today,
And I'll have to really find my way 
Without the aid of my subconscious mind,
Or maybe, quite subconsciously,
My mind has taken the wheel from me.
I check the rear view mirror and now
The painted snowman waves goodbye.

And I know I'll never see him again,
But the car keeps going. Where?
I hope I never see him again.
I hope I won't. I hope I won't.
I hope I never see him again.
I won't come down this way again.
I hope I don't. I hope I don't.


-jenn

No comments: