Monday, December 23, 2019

The skies that he painted 
Were more beautiful 
Than the skies that I saw out my window.
His clouds were cloudier.
His gulls, that soared o'er the sea
In his paintings,
Were much gull-ier than these
Which fly over me today
Here in Tuscany.

Maybe in Corsica the skies are blue.
Maybe, tho their exports included
Rebellious slaves and cheap wine,
But their imports are exiled poets and kings,
Painters, sons of Charlemagne,
Who rejected Christianity.
All sent to certain madness,
Where the wind and ancient siren songs
Lullaby them into a sleep where their dreams
Are even dreamier, and distilled their tears into art.

And now I cry.
And I see the sky
Is bluer than I thought,
And this one gull
Is gull-ier,
And his sigh bids me fly with him,
Or at least to fall 
Through the blue of the sky with him,
And land on the rocks of Corsica.

-jenn



No comments: