Thursday, April 19, 2012

Gone Fishin'


I let a man
Take me fishin’
One time,
And we both
Dropped our lines
Into dark waters.
His bobber jerked
A couple of times,
And he came
Out with a slippery shad.
Mine never moved.
I didn’t come
Out with anything
But a soakin’ wet worm.
Is that fair?
But he didn’t let me fish
Like I like to.
He didn’t think
I should dangle my line
The way I do
When I usually come
Fishin’.
He didn’t think
I should talk to ‘em
The way I like to talk
To ‘em.
So after he dropped me off
Back home,
I ambled back down
To the fishin’ hole
By myself,
And I did what I needed to do.
And I came
Out with a whole passle of perch,
Several shad,
And so many silvery delights
That I couldn’t count ‘em all!
So, if you ever take me fishin’,
Will you let me cast the line
Just so,
And will you let me talk to ‘em
The way I need to talk to ‘em,
And do what I need to do?
I hope you will.

-jenn long

No comments: