Thursday, April 19, 2012

My Banjo and I


My banjo and I trade sultry stares
Across the room, crowded by distractions,
Obligations, and appearances
Begun so long ago,
Things that simply must be done,
But I catch him looking
Hard in my peripheral view,
And as I walk on by,
I feel the burning blaze of his eyes
On the southend of my northbound self.

Sometimes as the day unfolds,
We find ourselves in a space together.
He pummels me with audacious questions
That make me blush inside.
But at least I know I’m still alive,
Knowing that I can still be embarrassed
By the brazenness of his love.

Then he proclaims his unquenchable devotion,
Reminding me of the touching scene
In some modern day love story,
And how we are just like that.
Now he tells me how he’d love
To take me around and show me off
And say, “Hell, yeah, she’s mine.”

And so he’s snagged me—
All of me,
My heart, my imagination,
My focus, my interest, and now my time,
My energy, and attentions.
I grab him at the neck
And begin to play him,
Gently tightening his tuning pegs,
And singing along
With his haunting E minors.

Oh the strings! They bid me pluck them
As I’ve been wanting
All along.

-jenn long

No comments: