Monday, November 11, 2019

I  dreamed you wrote a song for me
And named it Jayne,
Which would be my name if I could name myself.
You texted it to me,
But I can't read music,
And I couldn't see the words,
And so in my dream, I fell asleep in my car,
Wondering where you were.

I dreamed I drove my car to town
(While I was still asleep in the dream about you
And the words to your beautiful song,)
And I saw strange lights on the road
And knew, I shouldn't drive my car
Through the police checkpoint
While I was double dreaming.

But I didn't want to wake,
So I decided to take a left 
Down the dirt road that used to go 
To Norman Lee's house.
I saw the clock. It said 4:38.
I didn't know if that was late,
Too late, or much too early.

But it was so dark, and a dewy cool
Was settling down around the meadow.
I still didn't know where you were
Or how to find you,
So I plugged in my phone,
To charge it, and remembered that
There's only one mesquite tree by the pond,
That the creek runs to,
Between Norman's house and Highway 36.
I was thirsty, and wanted to swim,
So I hung all my clothes 
On the thorny limbs of that mesquite tree, 
And dipped myself into 
The starlit ripples of the creek.

And then I awoke, (from one dream)
And lying in the water smiling,
Floating on my back, I hear
The music of the spheres,
That Plato spoke of,
And I know, you are here, somewhere,
And you are just about to reveal the words,
The words of your lovely song,
And I can't wait to hear them.

But now I don't know even
Which dream I was in to begin,
And which dream that phone with that text is in!)
Maybe I should wake up for real
And find you,
And feel the song you would sing onto my skin
As we sleep together.
But what if I wake and it is never so?
Maybe it's better to sleep,
Just a little while longer instead?
Perchance to dream....

-jenn





No comments: