Sunday, November 17, 2019

They told me no life could live this deep,
Nothing could handle the pressure 
The mysterious sea exerts,
But I donned a suit and went over the side of the dinghy.

As I drifted down I saw the usual creatures,
Then very deep, my eyes adjusted,
And I began to see strange features
That no one had ever seen.
An ocean of undiscovered, unnamed, unstudied species fluoresce.
They were giving off their own heat,
Applying the feat of chemo-synthesis, and
Illuminating all the faces of god.

Or is the pressure too much for me?
I'm dying.
Someone's chasing me.
Someone's chasing you, too,
But you may have something to offer.

Nothing tips the iceberg like you.
I float like a dead man,
A beached nude,
With absolutely nothing to show for myself.
And now the scientists will take a net
And dredge below, 200 feet,
And "discover," and name them all
After themselves, in a fatal stab at immortality.


-jenn

No comments: