Wednesday, November 27, 2019

I used to tell my children stories about 
My rosy childhood.
And then one day when they were older,
I finally broke down
And told them the truth.

And they told me,
"We always knew!"
And I asked, "How?!"
And they explained,
"Because we know you so well!
And we know your family,
And even if we didn't,
We can see
How you treat yourself 
On your own birthday:

You get up like you always do
And pour what's left out of yesterday's
Lo-carb Monster Energy
With a squeeze of lime,
And feed the cats,
And take time to hug us and tell us good morning,
And ask us what we want to eat.
And we've tried giving you nice things for your birthday,
But you always say you don't need anything,
And we know you would never ask 
Even if you did."

And then the younger son stepped up 
And said, "I got you something, anyway,"
And handed me a rock,
A small plain-Jane one he said 
He found in our back yard.

And then he kissed me on my cheek.

And truly, it is exactly what I would have wanted,
If I ever would have wanted anything for my birthday.

And so today I feel such peace,
Because I know there are a few people
Who know me
And love me anyway!


-jenn

No comments: